Friday, September 25, 2009

The Home Stretch

During the last month of the trip I think I was always grieving that it was coming to an end. The trip had been my dream - I lived it and now it was almost over. For the final stretch I went down to the biggest city in Brazil of São Paulo to see a friend, Flavio, that I had met while in Chile. I had heard that São Paulo was just a big city and wasn't really worth the visit, but since I had a local to show me around I enjoyed my time there. São Paulo is the most imortaint financial center in South America and is the most populous city in the southern hemisphere. Flavio and I checked out a local market in one of the city squares where I bought a few gifts to take home. We also went around to see some of the city sights- Bandeirantes monument and the Metropolitan Sé Cathedral- and we went to a traditional Churrasio place, definitely locals only. Now São Paulo is a huge party city filled with people from all over the world. We went out with some of Flavio's friends to a bar/club on a Sunday night at 6pm and it was so packed you could hardly move.I then headed down south to Florinopolis to get in some more beach time before I headed home (granted home is gorgeous San Diego). Again I stayed at a wonderful hostel right near the beach with another amazing dog. I met a couple girls from Texas who I joined in sandboarding that day and going to one of the local beaches. We met a dog while sandboarding and he followed us around for the remainder of the day. The next day a bunch of people from the hostel rented a van and set out to a remote beach for a nice hike to the beach then a great fish lunch on the water. After three days in Florinpolis it was all over... I ended my year adventure by flying out of Rio de Janiero.

No comments: