Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Buenos Dias Buenos Aires

Buenos Aires only further completed my love for Argentina. However I was rather disappointed when I arrived because my mom had planned on meeting me in BA, but days before she was scheduled to leave she discovered an obstruction growing in her trachea which turned out to be scar tissue. She had to have emergency surgery and would not be able to fly out to see me. I had been really excited to explore this new city with her, but she was recovering from her successful surgery at home (FYI: she is completely fine now.) So I was left to tackle BA on my own, starting the first day exploring the Cemeterio de la Recoleta, home to Evita's grave. Then I went to the local markets in Recoleta where there were crafts to buy and some great tango dancers to watch. I walked around the city and just felt at home there, a similar feeling to the one I had in Spain. Next I ventured back to my hostel, Millhouse, where I met a great group of guys - English- that I spent the next several days with. The two Swedish girls, Sanna and Madis, came a met me a day later. The nightlife in BA is intense and the typical evening starts in the hostel bar and then around 2am everyone leaves for the clubs, which close at 6am. Needless to say we had a good time.
On my second day, my two roomies and I, Alex (English) and Jeremy (American) and took off to explore the houses and parks in Palmero, which is the wealthier area of the city. We spent the day at the zoo, parks, drinking mate, and eating empanadas. That night Alex and I went to a lovely local steak place in San Telmo that at 11pm the line was out the door. I got delicious Bife de Chorizo and wine we were all set for another late evening. The next day we went to the famous San Telmo markets which, for all the markets that I have been to- and there have been a lot, it may have been the best. Street after street were filled with stalls selling amazing jewelry, leather goods, and some random things like old clocks or bottles. Even better was all the live music- full bands and single singers, salsa and tango dancers, just made for a great time at the markets. That afternoon we went to see the famous Boca Juniors futbol team play. We had to do some bribery to get into the game after scalping some fake tickets (long story), but we got in and as we entered the stadium we realized we were in the popular section, aka hard core local fans. Although Boca was doing horrible that season the popular section- #12 fan- was full of the real fans who never stopped singing or dancing. The stadium was pretty empty except for our section. It was great to see one of the most famous teams in all of futbol and watch with the true fans, the ones who will support their team even when they are doing badly (San Diego fans should take note of this phenomenon).

Later that same evening I finally got around to checking my email and discovered that my mom had booked a last minute flight to BA and was coming out in two days. She was feeling really great a week after her surgery and was going to come out. I was so excited!

The next day our crew was all geared up to go to a huge futbol match, a semi final game, outside the city for a local team, The Estudiantes vs The Nationals (from Uruguay). Dare I say one of the coolest things I did while traveling was seeing this intense futbol game, it puts even the most dedicated sporting fans to shame. When we all arrived to this big deal game the stadium was electric with noise makers and chanting. We never sat down, stopped dancing or singing the entire game. Flairs, smoke bombs, and fireworks were going off all around us. Sometimes the smoke was so thick it was hard to even see the field and I have no idea how the players could even see the ball. It was just a big party. Because the game mattered so much people were screaming, cheering, booing, and cussing (puta) as they followed the game very closely. Suddenly there was a huge squrimish in the stands and the crowd opened up and we saw a guy literally getting the shit getting kicked out of him. Three huge guys were just kicking him because, as I later discovered, the guy had a flag from another team- a sister team- and that was why he was beat to a pulp. No big deal is what all the locals were saying to me, it happens every big game. Well as the guy was bloody and carried out on a stretcher I thought he probably thought otherwise. Despite the momentary interruption, the game was so much fun and the home team, The Estudiantes won. Even better, the next day my mom was coming....

No comments: